Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Floating

Today marks 4 weeks in and I feel like I'm floating. A routine is beginning to develop around classes, lunch with classmates, studying and finding language partners, but I'm still waking up each day thinking, "Is this my life?" It doesn't feel real or maybe it just doesn't feel normal yet. I'll let you know as time goes by.

In any case, there has been amazing scenery and experiences around every corner. Trying to explain index cards to the swarm of salespeople at the store was interesting. It involved being lead over to the electronics section where the electronic translators were pulled out to ask me all sorts of questions, such as "What are they used for?" How do you explain "flashcards" in Chinese when you don't actually speak Chinese? That trip was unsuccessful.

On the other hand, I can successfully navigate my way around the city in taxis. This involves showing the driver where I need to go either on a map or in a guide book that has the address written in Chinese. I then make my way back home with the crumpled up piece of paper that has my address written on it. I need to get that laminated immediately. Only every once in a while am I shooed away for who knows what reason...but there is always another taxi to be found. When it is clear that the driver is asking me what route I'd like him to take, I just say, "Dui." "Right." This works pretty well.

Here are a few of the latest shots:

Closing up the market:

A Doorway in traditional Hutong neighborhood:
A fork in the road:

Near the Forbidden City at Sunset:

Inside the Forbidden City:
Just outside the walls of the Forbidden City:

No comments: